Monday, July 6, 2009

I'm Alive!

The internet here is very slow if it's even working so, this is the first time I've been able to get on. The orphanage I'm at has a computer lab with internet, but it doesn't always work.
So much has already happened, and I haven't even been here a week yet! The plane ride from Utah to New York was great. I sat behind a PACK of missionaries! I got to see them in action! haha They were talking to a lady about different churches. I also made a friend from Romania. His name was Ovi (pronounced Oh-vee) After we got to New York I no longer had the missionaries with me. That's when I realized I was really going across the world by myself. The spirit they carry is amazing, I was sad to leave it.
The second day I got to the orphanage we went to the beach!! I loved it! The kids loved it, too. I got a bit burnt because my malaria pills make me more sensitive to light, but it's not bad. Nothing like the other girl here; she has a giant blister on her shoulder from her sunburn. One kid named Romeo ran around naked, covered himself in sand, then says "Look, I'm white like you!" He's such a character.
The culture here is very very different. Everybody waves and says hello to everyone, I love it! Very very friendly. They have these things called trotros (basically a giant van that you cram as many bodies in as possible.) When we went to the beach we had 32 bodies in one van. If someone passed gas I'm sure we would have died. Speaking of which the toilets here are lovely. Its basically an outhouse and smells wonderful. One kid got locked in it and they had to break the lock off. I'm suprised he didnt pass out from the smell. We get to bucket bathe here too. It's really not bad at all. The water is cold, but it feels pretty good because it's so hot here. I love the heat!!
For the fourth of July we went down to Cape Coast. It's about two and a half hours away. We went to Kacum National Park and did the canopy walk. It's a tiny rickety bridge suspended by seven trees. That was awesome!! You're about 70 feet up and can see all across the jungle. Beautiful! After we went to Elmina Castle. It used to be used as a building for slave trade. It was so interesting. Sad actually, to be there; in the very place many others had died and suffered. We went down in the dungeons where people were kept. It was intense, is the only word I can think of for it.
So there are three volunteers here from England. I am taking on their accent. I talk with a British accent sometimes without meaning to. I even think to myself with their accent.
I've already had four marriage proposals. Two from the same person. Very persistant he is. Everyone asks you for your number, too. Good thing I didn't take a phone with me!
I taught in the nursery the other day. What an experience that was! All I did was break up fights. The kids here dont understand violence is bad because their teachers "cane" them for discipline. It so aweful! I had one kid in each hand trying to keep them from kicking each other, yet they still managed. During this I also have two kids on each finger, fighting over who gets to hold it, one on each leg, and another trying to get on my back. It hurts actually, they MAUL you!
Some of the younger ones (mostly outside of the orphanage) are scared of me. "Obroni, Obroni!" they yell. It means white person. They usually warm up to you after a while.
Again, the internet here is sketchy so I will try to continue updating this. Goodbye for now!

2 comments: