Monday, July 13, 2009

Another day in Africa

This week has been pretty good. I taught in the Kindergarten class for some of this week. Their attention span is about five seconds long. We taught them the hokey pokey though and they loved it!
Another mormon girl showed up last week. Her name is Martha. We went to church yesterday which was really good. I'm so glad we found it! It was all in English which suprised me. I invited Eric and Israel to come (they are about 16 and17). They really wanted to come, but the head honcho of the orphanage said they couldn't. It was too late of notice or something. So we are going to try for next week. The ward is having a temple trip this Saturday! I really wanted to go to the Accra temple while I was here, but had no idea where it was. So this worked out quite nicely.
So Obama came to Ghana last week. What a joke! They had things from HUGE signs saying "Welcome Obama" to Obama boxers and buscuits. He's bigger here than at home! Some of us volunteers went to Accra this weekend and everyone yells at you, "Obama, Obama!" They called us Obamas children and Obamas escourts. It's really funny actually, but quite ridiculous.
There are so many things that are different here. The sun goes down at about 6 or 6:30. It's so crazy; I'll never get used to it. It's been raining so much lately. I've never even seen rain like this before. It makes random rivers everywhere. But because of the rain I haven't been able to do laundry because there is no where to hang my clothes to dry. I never feel clean here. I will never take a hot shower for granted again!
So the food here has made me break out in a rash. How lovely. I'm pretty sure its from all the oil they cook thier food in. I have random food cravings all the time.
I love it here, but I think I'll be excited when I go home. Time flys by so quickly here. I can't believe I've already been here almost two weeks. I never know what time of the day it is, let alone the date or day of the week.
Well that's about it for now! Til next time

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found the church and the temple!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had dinner at your house on Sunday night. Scott and Misty came and your dad beat us all in Settlers. Tonite had Artic Circle ice cream for FHE. Walked around the block w Emma.
    We went to the Oquirrh Mt. temple open house last week. It is very pretty inside and different from others.
    Stay dry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh oh I was there, well not in Africa, but with Jeff, but I don't know why he told you that :) I'm so jealous of you getting to have this experince, it sounds like so much fun, and I think if you don't marry Rob you should go in a mission, but I'm bias;) take care and be safe!!

    ReplyDelete